Solution Finder Get Tech Support

Capzero in Capacitive Power Supply

Posted by: fmariottini on

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to use Capzero-2 IC to discharge X2 Film Capacitor in Capacitive Power Supply application.

I'm designing a Capacitive Power Supply with 0.22uF X2 film capacitor that is in serie with the mains. A Bleeder resistor 

in parallel from Line to Neutral is used to discharge X2 capacitor within 1 sec. time interval to lower voltage at secure level.

Normally Capzero-2 Ic is employed in parallel to X2 capacitor in input stage in power supply both from Line to Neutral.

I would like to know if I can put Capzero-2 IC in parallel from Line to Neutral to discharge X2 film capacitor in serie with mains.

Thanks in advance

Francesco

Comments

Submitted by fmariottini on 06/28/2016

Hello, 

I added an image to explain better my question.

Referred to the attached image can we replace the bleeder resistor R2 with Capzero-2 Cap200DG to discharge the

X2 capacitor C1?

Thanks in advance

Francesco

Attachment Size
Capacitive_power_supply.pdf 33.52 KB
Submitted by PI-Neela on 07/18/2016

concer about line surge event.

Submitted by fmariottini on 07/19/2016

Dear, I didn't understand your concern. The schematic of Capacitive power supply that

I attached is usually employed in non isolating power supply typical for meters. I would like replace only

the bleeder resistor with Capzero-2 Cap200DG IC. IC would be working in the same position than typical application 

that you suggest in datasheet with the difference that capacitor to discharge is in series with the mains and not in parallel with the IC.

Please can you explain better your point of view?

Francesco

Submitted by PI-Neela on 07/27/2016

theoretically you can use it as you discribed. The concern is that capzero now is directly between line and Neutral. If there is surge between line and neutral, capzero is directly expose to it.