Solution Finder Get Tech Support

Cannot start PIXLs Designer under Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Posted by: CircuitDesigner on

Hello,

I downloaded and installed the latest version (10.3.8) of Pi Expert Suite from the official website. Now I have the following problem: After I start PIXLs Designer, the program freezes immediately and does not respond to user actions. The only thing left to do is to kill the process.

What have I already tried to solve the problem:

1. completely reinstalled PI Expert Suite with or without administrative rights.

2. started PIXLs Designer with administrative rights,

3. started PI Expert Suite with administrative rights and from there started PIXLS Designer.

4. waited until PIXLS unfreezes.

None of this helped me, PIXLS Designer stayed frozen after right after startup (see screenshot). The program also does not show any errors or warnings after it starts. I also don't see any log file where I can find the cause.

During installation, I have been seeing the following error every time (see screenshot):

Product: PI Expert Suite 64-bit -- Error 1904.Module C:\Windows\system32\PIF18u64.ocx failed to register.  HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel.

How can I fix this error? How critical is it?

After installation, after starting PIXLs Designer, I see the following information in Windows Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: PIExpertSuiteApp.exe, version: 10.3.8.1, time stamp: 0x6357dd9a

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2728, time stamp: 0xe7e53a4e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000001808d

Faulting process id: 0xd30

Faulting application start time: 0x01d96c966207242e

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Power Integrations\PI Expert Suite 10.3\PIExpertSuiteApp.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 6125bb82-0231-48f2-aa43-7dace0755270

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Information about my operating system:

Windows 10 Pro x64

Information about my hardware:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core (3.90 GHz), 64 GB RAM. I also have a dedicated graphics card from Nvidia.

I would be very grateful if someone could help with me. What should I do to start PIXLs Designer?

Thanks in advance

Files

Attachment Size
Screenshot_1412.jpg 66.7 KB
Screenshot_1413.jpg 13.82 KB

Comments

Submitted by CircuitDesigner on 04/11/2023

I have tried to register the file manually with the command regsvr32 C:\Windows\system32\PIF18u64.ocx. In the process, I got the following error message (see screenshot). The file PIF18u64.ocx is in the directory C:\Windows\system32, I have looked.

Attachment Size
Screenshot_1414.jpg 40.02 KB
Submitted by PI-Lupin the Third on 05/02/2023

Hi Circuit Designer,

My apologies for the delayed response. I had to check with my colleague before I could properly address your inquiry.

Regarding the problem that you mentioned, we have thoroughly investigated the issue and have been unable to reproduce the problem. Can you please try the process again and let us know if the issue persists? 

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

PI-Lupin

Submitted by CircuitDesigner on 05/16/2023

Hello and sorry for the delayed response from my side too. The problem persists on my machine, I did not get it solved. I also tried to generate a .dmp file with Process Monitor (v3.93 from Microsoft) and to analyse it, but that didn't do me any good. Workaround: I still have a computer with a fairly fresh version of Windows installed. I installed PIXLs Designer there and everything works there.

What information could I provide you to find the cause of this problem on my primary machine?

Best regards,

CircuitDesigner

Submitted by PI-Lupin the Third on 05/31/2023

Hi CircuitDesigner,

Could you please confirm if you have installed the 64-bit version of the PI Expert Suite? If so, I recommend uninstalling it and downloading the 32-bit version instead. Once downloaded, please proceed with the installation.

Thanks,

PI-Lupin

Submitted by CircuitDesigner on 05/31/2023

Hello PI-Lupin,

this is correct. I did have the 64-bit version of the PI Expert Suite.

I uninstalled it as you said and then I installed the 32-bit version. The problem with the PIXLs Designer persists.

Best regards,

CircuitDesigner

Attachment Size
Screenshot_4_0.png 7.91 KB