Solution Finder Get Tech Support

Innoswitch CH vs. CE

Posted by: fla on

I already have some experience with Innoswitch-CH regulators, INN2005K and INN2025K.

I am considering using the Innoswitch-CE regulators for a new project, because they provide UVLO.

I already found this table of comparison: https://ac-dc.power.com/products/innoswitch-family/

Q1. Could you please explain which are the relevant differences between the INN2105K and INN2125K?

Q2. If cable-drop compensation is not required, which reugulator of the CE-family is recommended (20W output)? Can the output current-sense resitor be omitted (i.e. shorted)? In other words, I would like to achieve the same behavior of the INN2005K but with intergrated UVLO.

Thank you.

Comments

Submitted by PI-YY on 08/31/2016

Hello Fla,

Thank you for considering using Power Integrations products.

Below are the answers to your questions:

Q1. Could you please explain which are the relevant differences between the INN2105K and INN2125K?

For the Inno-CE family, INN21X5K, the X represents the cable drop compensation function.

1. x = 0 (no cable compensation), x = 2 (300 mV cable compensation).

Q2. If cable-drop compensation is not required, which reugulator of the CE-family is recommended (20W output)? Can the output current-sense resitor be omitted (i.e. shorted)? In other words, I would like to achieve the same behavior of the INN2005K but with intergrated UVLO.

If you don't need cable drop conpemsation, You can use INN2105 INN2104 depends on you application. If it is adpeter applictaion(Minimum continuous power in a typical non-ventilated enclosed typical size adapter measured at 40 °C ambient. Max output power is dependent on the design. With condition that package temperature must be < = 125 °C.), INN2105 is recommended. if it is open frame, both INN2105 and INN2104 can be used.

If you short the output current sense resistor, you will lose the current sense of your output and constant current output function will be disabled, which means the power supply will go to power limit when you across the maximum output power point. And you will not have OCP as well.

For INN2005, the current sense and OCP is integrated Internally, while INN0-CE, we use External sense resistor for accurate CC control.

Best Regards

Submitted by fla on 09/06/2016

In reply to by PI-YY

Hello. Thank you for your reply.

Finally we have our converter working and we will proceed with board-layout shortly. We decided to use the INN2125K with cable drop compensation.

Another question is about the rectifier for the auxiliary voltage. I noticed that in your reference-designs, the diode is in the negative path. Is there a particular reason for that?

Thank you.

Hello fla,

As for the diode connection for the auxiliary, this is designed for the EMI consideration. For the Inno-swicth secondary side recitifier, we need to put it in the negtive side and then the end point will be a noisy node. To achieve the low EMI, we also suggest to put it at the negative end.

You can also put it in the positive side, then the transformer construction need to be adjusted for EMI requirement.

Best Regards