解决方案查找器 技術支援

High output power consumption

Posted by: sid on

Hi , i have purchased power supply of rating 36v , 1.5 amp , that power supply uses "TOP258EN" ic and its provide perfect output voltage , but the problem in power supply is it show more output power consumption , when i tested it on electrical load , on electric load it shows output voltage of 35.9 v on 0.2 amp load but it show up to 60 W in watt meter on output side , so as for my application it too sensitive .
all i want to know is what could be possible problem in smps or what could be problematic part in my smps due to which its shows the high output power consumption .

回應

Submitted by PI-DATA on 10/09/2017

Hi Sid,
I think there is no problem on the SMPS unit since it can deliver 60W power as your watt meter shows. I think it is clear that your Electrical load is drawing more than 0.2A as your watt meter on output side indicates.

To verify this, you can use voltmeter to check the output voltage and ammeter to check the output current. You can also check power consumption from the input side. If you still having trouble then you may first use resistive load just to be sure and eliminate any problem in your electronic load (ex. wrong setting). If you are still having problem, let us know.

Regards.

Submitted by sid on 10/13/2017

Hi
i have checked my electronic load , it works perfectly with other power supply like 12v , 5 amp
, it show perfect output power consumption with it , but i am still getting problem in 36v ,1.5 amp
well i have tested that problematic smps on my electric load it shows 50w in power meter without even turning on the load
so i contacted the manufacturer of my electric load , their technical person is saying that , i may have large output ripple in my power supply due to which power meter on electric load is showing about 50w even when load is not turned on ,
can this be possible problem in smps ?

Submitted by sid on 10/13/2017

Hi
i have checked my electronic load , it works perfectly with other power supply like 12v , 5 amp
, it show perfect output power consumption with it , but i am still getting problem in 36v ,1.5 amp
well i have tested that problematic smps on my electric load it shows 50w in power meter without even turning on the load
so i contacted the manufacturer of my electric load , their technical person is saying that , i may have large output ripple in my power supply due to which power meter on electric load is showing about 50w even when load is not turned on ,
can this be possible problem in smps ?

Submitted by PI-DATA on 10/13/2017

Hi Sid,
You can check the ripple on the oscilloscope if it really have high ripple but I don't think this would cause high output power. If it is really have a high output ripple then it would only cause instability/oscillation to the output and would not be able to provide full load output power.

Here is what you can do. Since it is a DC output, you can easily measure the output power through oscilloscope or just an ammeter and voltmeter. Just multiply the current and the voltage output to get the real output power. Compare that value to your electronic load and wattmeter. The one that have a different value is probably the defective one.