解决方案搜寻 技术支持

Remote ON/OFF in TopSwitch

Posted by: ohnate on
Depending on the configuration, TopSwitch HX comes with voltage monitor pin (V) or multi-function pin (M) that can be used as a remote ON/OFF switch. But it appears that when it is "off", it consumes at least 160mW. The power consumption seems fairly high - comparable to power consumption in standby mode for devices that operate in burst mode or skip cycle mode, and several times more then standby power with devices that use auxiliary winding. I am assuming that it is due in large part due to the use of internal power (current) source directly from the HV (D) line. Is there a way to decrease the standby power using TopSwitch HX? The best answer I can hope for is that my understanding of the data sheet is wrong and the power consumption is much lower!

评论

Submitted by PI-Chekov on 09/26/2008

Hello ohnate

This behaviour is correct but I can understand why you would question such a high consumption as many of our products can be configured to consume <50 mW when the output of the power supply is disconnected.

During normal supply operation the CONTROL pin of the IC (which is both the feedback input and supply pin for the IC is supplied from the bias winding, typically 12-15 V). The consumption of the IC at minimum load (maximum feedback current) is therefore 12 V x 6 mA = 72 mW.

When the device is in remote off and no longer switching the bias voltage falls to zero. In this case the device consumption is supplied from the drain via a high voltage current source. There is no feedback current so IC consumption is 0.6 mA (ICD2 from datasheet). Therefore power consumption is 0.6 mA x VAC x Sqrt 2. At 115 VAC this is ~100 mW.

The good news is this performance meet all the worldwide energy efficiency requirements.

Cheers

PI-Chekov

Submitted by PI-Spock on 09/29/2008

Please ignore - just a test post

Submitted by prasun on 10/01/2008
hello spock,pls let us knw the way to reduce the standby power.thanx/
Submitted by micheal on 11/19/2009

This behaviour is correct but I can understand why you would question such a high consumption as many of our products can be configured to consume <50 mW when the output of the power supply is disconnected.
--------------------
houston homes for sale , car finance , bad credit loans