Solution Finder Get Tech Support

Could PI xls.6.0 software would be available on web?

Posted by: prasun on
hello, could you arrange to display the download of PI xls 6.0 until version 7.0 is completely through. It is because, with every design Xls is reporting few bugs as discussed till now. It is making design unreliable & doubt-full to proceed ahead for design. So pls provide PI xls 6.0

Comments

Submitted by prasun on 08/27/2008
pls provide version 6, bcoz, version 7 is really not supporting goo. pls consider request .nd pls care to reply soon
Submitted by marcin on 09/01/2008
Te same request from me as well.
Submitted by prasun on 09/01/2008
is there anyone listening our request?
Submitted by PI-Spock on 09/04/2008
Version 7.0 is better and provides more features than version 6.0. Yes, there are a few bugs that were reported in version 7.0 and they will be fixed soon. However these are not as many bugs as is perceived by some of the users. If you have any specific problem with the software send me a separate email and I will try and help you.
Submitted by ianbenton on 02/11/2009
Could we have PI Expert 6.0 as well? I've had 7.0 for a month or so, and am regretting it. 6.0 achieved results as good with a fraction of the effort. 7.0 has lots of extra options to fill in, and more often than not I get "failed to find optimal design". 6.0 never gave any trouble. Is the technical term for this "feature-bloat" or something similar?
Submitted by PI-Spock on 02/11/2009

Can you tell me which design (spec) you have having trouble optimizing?

It's a peak-switch (a device with which I've never been successful), at 2W continuous, 24W peak. I don't want to use too small a transformer, because it's too fiddly, and difficult to get 2.5kV isolation, so I have started at EF20. It will optimise that with 2 turns on the secondary for 12V output, which just seems highly unlikely. Telling it to use more turns just results in it telling me it can't optimise for cost. I might just resort to a tinyswitch 3 or Topswitch, and design for 24W continuous - I know that will work, yet it fails to give any solution for the Tinyswitch, although it is below its maximum rating of 28.5W. Version 6 was much easier to use.
Submitted by PI-Spock on 02/12/2009

If you want force the software to use a bigger transformer with PeakSwitch that negates the benefit of using high frequency switching. However, your argument about using too small a transformer and dealing with 2.5 kV surge is also valid. How about a EE16 size? EF20 is also perfectly fine if you have them in stock otherwise generally speaking larger the magnetic larger the cost.

If you want to use PeakSwitch here is what I suggest -
1) Make sure you select the P package (DIP 8) for this level of power. Y package (TO-220) will be cost ineffective.
2) Increase the continuous power to about 6 W (12V, 0.5 A) If you are going to use a larger transformer then increasing the average power will help the software zero in on the core size you want...
3) You should not be suprised with 2 turns selection. Again your transformer size is so huuge that at the power level you are talking at the flux density excursion is not that large. Plus since its a single output, the feedback loop will take care of the regulation regardless of the turns. 2 turns should be just fine.

If you want to use TinySwitch-PK family
1) Enter the spec as is - 12V, 2 W continuous and 24 W peak.
2) from the Solutions filter enter the start core and end core to be the same size (EF20) as you want to use. Check the PI Expert video on "Designing with a Fixed PI Device and/or a Fixed Transformer Core" if you are not familiar with this
3) This should allow succesfull optimization.

I am attaching 2 possible solutions that you can look at. Obviously, you know your requirements best so only you will be able to decide which solution is better for you, but hopefully this post should help.

Submitted by ianbenton on 02/13/2009
Thanks for that. Tinyswitch PK seems to produce the best solution. Which is the best to minimise standby power consumption? It goes in a product that is about 2 ft cube, and sells for £1700, so neither the size or price savings between the EF20 and EF12.5 are of much concern. Besides, the difference between a transformer that is a bit smaller than the CM choke, and one that is a lot smaller than the CM choke doesn't affect the overall size by much.
Submitted by PI-Spock on 02/13/2009

To minimize power consumption at standby/noload it is adviseable to externally bias the TNY-PK chip. This is done by feeding an external current from the bias winding via a simple resistor into the BP pin. For the TNY379 the DRAIN supply current (current required to feed the internal controller) is about 1 mA. So choose the resistor such that it can deliver 1 mA from the external bias winding