Solution Finder Get Tech Support

Transformer Specs for RDS-420 using InnoSwitch-CH

Posted by: mark.scott@nor… on

Does anyone have detailed Physical dimensions of the Transformer specified in RDR-420?

Is it possible to modify this transformer to contain an additional secondary that will be capable of delivering 6V, 250mA out at nominal resonant frequency using the InnoSwitch-CH part referenced in this design?

I am also wanting to boost the output of this base design in this document to 5.1V, 12W. Is this possible?

Comments

Submitted by PI-KSAN on 02/06/2015

Thanks for Posting your question into forum,Yes it's possible to Boost the Power to 5.1 V , 12 W. Please follow the Power Table of our Devices, Use the Appropriate Power Capability to Handle the 12W Output Power. Also Please verify Our PI-Xls Transformer Spreadsheet to Make sure when you are designint there are no warnings and Errors.
Regarding the Physical Dimension of the transformer used in RDR-420, there is a transformer design spreadsheet in the Report,please go through it and you will find the Bobbin Physical width and Core Area.

Regards,
KSAN

I am noticing that we can adjust the information in the design spreadsheet and get the design details needed for transformer design. Please let me know if you feel that we can add another secondary to this particular transformer size to produce a second 7V, 300mA output. Please send me your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Mark

Submitted by PI-KSAN on 02/11/2015

Thanks Mark for Posting Back. Yes you can add additional Winding but the output might not be tightly regulated,when you run the Spreadsheet make Sure the Primary Transformer Inductance is within the legal design for the total output power of Main Output voltage and also the second voltage that you want to use. you shouldn't see any warnings or errors. Please let us know if this answered your question and we are happy to help you in doing the Successful Design from PI.

Regards,
Santhosh